Changing your Name in Singapore

Changing your Name in Singapore

Unhappy with your name? These days in Singapore, name changes are becoming increasingly popular. Whether it’s adopting a more Westernized name, changing your religion, or simply wanting a new lease on life through a new name, more and more people want to know how to get it done. Fortunately, receiving a name change is a relatively straight-forward procedure. Let I.R.B. Law help you figure out what you need to do, and how. The solution is a Deed Poll.

What is a deed poll?

A deed poll is a legal document that changes one’s name. It basically declares that you will renounce your old name, and begin adopting a new one.

How do I change my name by deed poll?

Firstly you would need to make an appointment with a lawyer. He will assist you in drafting the deed poll in accordance with Singapore Laws and ensure that your new name conforms with regulations.

What do I do next?

Within 28 days, you then will need to go to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) in Singapore to apply for a replacement identity card. You can also apply for it online.

Do I need to carry the deed poll with me?

After you change your NRIC and passport, you will not need to keep your deed poll on your person.

How long does the whole process take?

Meeting with a lawyer should not take more than 15 minutes. After applying with the ICA for a new NRIC, your new card should be produced and issued to you within a few days of processing.

Who do I need to inform once I change my name?

Your company’s HR department will need to know of your name change. It is also important to let your university or school know about it, so they can put your new name on any of your academic certifications / transcripts. Banks, insurers, investment agencies, your mobile phone company, the IRAS, and any other authority that charges you regularly should all know as well.

What documents do I need to change?

After receiving a new NRIC, you are required to obtain a new passport within seven days. You will need to go to the Singapore Embassy or ICA with your documentation to get one, which after processing, should arrive within 4-6 weeks.


Your passport and NRIC are the two most important documents that need changing. However, you should inform the previously mentioned groups as soon as possible about your name change, so they can update your documentation.

Are there documents I cannot change?

Your birth certificate and marriage certificate both cannot be edited.

Do I need to inform the authorities?

That is not necessary. As long as you update your NRIC and Passport, there should not be any further need to update any other authorities?

What is the minimum age necessary to get a deed poll?

If you are under the age of 21, both of your parents will need to sign your deed poll, even if they are divorced. If the other parent has passed away, you will need to bring a death certificate to the ICA as proof. If the other parent is not contactable, the present parent will have to declare that despite reasonable efforts, he/she could not be reached.

Is there a name change limit?

There are no restrictions on the number of name changes you can have.


Are there restrictions on what I can change my name to?
If names are offensive or vulgar, resemble those of famous politicians, or contain titles such as “Sir” or “Duke”, the ICA will reject them. Otherwise, you have free reign to change your name as you please.

How we can help you

At I.R.B. Law, we understand that changing your name, a large part of your identity, is a very personal procedure. We also understand that drafting a deed poll may be a complicated matter for some but Worry not; we will be able to guide you through this process and explain matters clearly. Our first consultation is usually free as we wish to focus on you and not on your wallet. Don’t hesitate – reach us at or call us at 6298 2537 and schedule an appointment with one of our lawyers today.


The information contained in this article is provided for general information only and may not reflect current status in relation to applicable law, cases, settlements or judgements. Nothing contained on this website or article is intended to constitute legal advice, nor should it be construed as I.R.B Law LLP agreeing to provide legal services to you. You acknowledge and agree that your use of this website shall not create a lawyer-client relationship with I.R.B Law LLP.