Areas of Practice
Associate, Advocate & Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
Mato Kotwani is a current associate of I.R.B. Law LLP. He graduated from the University of Tasmania, receiving a Bachelor’s of Laws.
Mato is well-versed among a wide variety of legal issues. His main practice areas include:
- Civil litigation: Helping individuals work through contractual disputes, debt recovery problems, defamation claims, and negligence issues.
- Employment law: Dealing with matters of wrongful termination and breach of employment contracts.
- Criminal Law: Experience with financial crimes, unlicensed moneylending, violent crimes and sexual offences.
- Wills & Probate: Advising on estate planning and drafting wills.
- Commercial Law: Advising on director’s duties, corporate restructuring, and other commercial actions.
Mato is also well-practiced in areas such as Criminal Litigation, Family Law, Debt Recovery and Personal Injury. His understanding of a multitude of issues enables him to handle many cases and be a versatile lawyer, as he comprehends the minute details of matters and thus can provide solutions to his clients more efficiently.
Other fields of practice include:
- Admiralty and Shipping;
- Bankruptcy (including voluntary bankruptcy and creditor’s bankruptcy application);
- Company winding up (voluntary winding up and compulsory winding up);
- Criminal defence (Capital Cases (i.e. Drug Trafficking, Murder), Drug possession Consumption, VCH, VCGH, Rioting, Juvenile Offenders etc);
- Corporate and Commercial Litigation (Magistrate Court, District Court, High Court and Court of Appeal actions involving broad areas i.e. breach of contract, minority oppression actions etc);
- Debt recovery (corporate and individual);
- Divorce (Muslim/Syariah and non-Muslim);
- Employment Law;
- Intellectual Property Law including Trademarks, Patents and Copyright
- Letters of Administration and Probate (Muslim and Non-Muslim)
- Road Accidents and other negligence claims including Medical Negligence
- Wills (Muslim and Non-Muslim); and
- Work Injury Compensation (Industrial Accidents);
- Mato’s experience additionally extends to settlement negotiation for defendants in contractual disputes, plea bargaining to reduce charges for offenders in criminal cases, and representing accused persons in court. He works hard to secure the best outcomes for his clients, providing honest, to-the-point advice. When Mato takes up a case he does not judge clients based on their status, race or religion. Rather, Mato asks what he can do for them, giving his clients his utmost attention to ensure the best possible service.Patient and understanding, Mato will work with you step by step to understand your whole case, and deliver the justice you deserve. His meticulous approach toward case analysis and attention to detail provides strong results, as he aims to understand every aspect of each case and help you achieve success in court. Clients throughout Singapore have remained highly satisfied with Mato, a “patient and calm” lawyer who is “able to explain complex legal advice in an easy-to-understand, digestible form”. His comprehension of technical and specialized terms coupled with his ability to break down and simplify issues has proven very popular. Mato is a member of the Singapore Academy of Law, Law Society of Singapore, and also volunteers for the Criminal Legal Aid Scheme. He is highly involved in and aware of the inner-workings of the legal profession in Singapore. His care for the community is also reflected through volunteer work, as he feels strongly about providing whatever assistance he can to the common man. If you need immediate legal help, speak with Mato soon. He will provide to you the assistance you need.