Marina graduated from the University of Birmingham, United Kingdom with a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) degree. She is admitted as an advocate and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore.
Marina has a keen interest in Criminal Law which saw her training at a multitude of criminal law firms. She has assisted in various criminal trials for offences ranging from Statutory Rape to Secret Society and Agency matters. Marina also regularly acts in Matrimonial matters, Probate, Deputyship applications and Dispute Resolution.
Marina has volunteered in the Community Justice Centre where she assisted in the Criminal Registry (Bail Centre & Magistrates' Courts) and the Family Courts where she facilitated mediation sessions.
Besides the legal industry, Marina has also trained at the Exercise and Readiness Division of the Singapore Police Force where she assisted in the planning and execution of the nation's biggest multi-agency counter-terrorism exercise.
- Assisted in negotiating with the Prosecution in an offence under section 420 Penal Code read with section 109 for conspiracy to cheat a Government agency where the Prosecution offered a fine in lieu of a custodial sentence.
- Assisted an accused of offences under section 33 Enlistment Act where her client who defaulted on his National Service obligations received a minimal fine for an offence which usually attracts a custodial sentence.
- Assisted accused persons in Singapore’s first labour trafficking case under the Prevention of Human Trafficking Act where the accused persons were acquitted.
- Assisted an accused in reducing her sentence to a section 323 Penal Code offence for voluntarily causing hurt despite the victim passing away from the assault.
- Assisted an accused in obtaining an acquittal for causing death by dangerous driving under section 64(2) of the Road Traffic Act where her client had been involved in a fatal vehicle accident which resulted in the death of 3 pedestrians.
- Assisted in a maintenance trial where her client’s wife’s application for maintenance for herself was eventually dismissed.
- Acts for tenants in retrieving security deposits withheld by their landlords in landlord-tenancy disputes.